Saturday, November 16, 2019

This Thing Called AGE???

As I see my reflection each day and look at my hands and skin, covered with wrinkles and age spots that are more like my mothers, it looks like a woman 90+ years old. I can accept that reality BUT I can't wrap my mind around the fact that it is ME! 

This time of year takes me way back to the times when it was so exciting, as the weather started to get a chill and it was time for the first fire in the grate fireplace ,the only form of heat, other than the coal burning stove in the kitchen, that had been covered with plywood during the summer. It was my job to pick up chips from around the wood chopping block to help start that first fire for the winter. Once it was started as the weather got cold it was kept burning using coal to keep us from freezing.   Sometimes we would bake whole potatoes by putting them in the ashes, so good when they were done, covered with real "cow" butter.

Fall brings more memories than I could mention, like gathering black walnuts after the first frost, smashing the green hulls that left a stain on your hands that couldn't be washed off for quite some time. After this they were put on the top of a shed, maybe even on the outhouse, to dry.   Then there was cracking them and getting them ready for delicious cakes, candy or just eating.

Lots of other work to be done, besides all the canning, pickling, making preserves, jelly etc. to have food for the winter.  There was dried corn to be gathered and shucked, fodder shocks to keep the cow, horse and chickens fed. It was all done the hard way for all the people I knew. All this seems like not so long ago, until I think of all the "in betweens" during those years.

I enjoy "remembering" most of the time except for the sad times and the mistakes I've made and the things that can't be amended. These are the thoughts that keep me awake at night. It would be so nice to have a switch that I could turn those off kinda' like the delete on a computer.

It's not all bad, still caring about others, trying never to judge or change anyone else, just always being thankful for the life here at Creekside Terrace. Wishing ALL a wonderful EVERYDAY of THANKSGIVING!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment